Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Instant Pot French Canadian Pea Soup Recipe

🍵 My Instant Pot Pea Soup Recipe 🍵

April 14, 2020

While waiting for our son to arrive for the impromptu front yard picnic we had, I decided to use up some of the leftover ham that we didn't give to them, to make a pea soup. While I'm not French Canadian, my husband is and this is more or less based on the way he taught me to make it,  on the top of the stove in a dutch oven, which I modified (in method & a little in ingredients) to make in the Instant Pot. Oh boy, what a difference! Instead of taking all night and all day the next day to make a still semi-hard pea soup, this was done in 20 minutes and a toothless baby could eat it (except for the ham & carrots those you still needed to chew a bit), the peas were almost babyfood mush. It makes for an awesome pea soup in texture whether you have your teeth or not and delicious (even if I do say so myself). Anyhow as another means of not wasting food during the quarantine period (well as is my habit anyhow - as a neighbour of ours once found out when I inadvertently told her I was making pickled watermelon rind, I don't like wasting food if I can help it), I decided to use the couple of  ham slices left over to chop up and make a pea soup with. But I didn't want to go through the overnight thing of soaking the peas, then draining the water the next day and then cooking it on the stove all day long, I decided to make it in the instant pot using what I could surmise as being a decent time for such a recipe on the soup cycle.

Ingredients:

1L vegetable broth or chicken broth (I used vegetable broth today)
3L water
3 cups dry yellow split peas
1-2 cups chopped ham
2 bay leaves
pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in instant pot, and stir to combine. Close lid and select the soup cycle and select 20 minutes on the timer and make sure the vent is in the sealed position. After it's finished let it sit for 5-10 minutes on low and then vent. After the steam is totally vented remove lid and serve or let cool, before putting it away.


No comments:

Post a Comment